Followers

The Boy Who Would Be Princess


Seattle, WA television show New Day Northwest tackled a very interesting and suprisingly heartwarming topic this week in their segment entitled "Princess Boy."

The Kilodavis family came on to talk about their five-year-old son, Dyson, who likes to dress up like a princess. Cheryl Kilodavis, Dyson's mom, discussed her initial struggles with her son's choices and how she's come to accept them. She's written a children's book, My Princess Boy, in the hopes that she can help other struggling parents to accept their children and discourage (often anti-gay) bullying by sharing her son's story.

Dyson's father Dean had this to say:

I just want him to be happy and healthy. And if this is the form he chooses to express himself, that's fine. In the end, when he's grown up, I just want him to be able to say--no matter what he chooses--'I'm so glad my parents supported me; I'm glad that I was accepted for who I am.'

Finally! Reason and freedom win out. Congratulations to any parent with the vision to understand that not everyone fits into narrow little constructions.

Watch the video below:


Visit the Kilodavis' website or follow them on Facebook and Twitter.