Followers

Nigga

I usually avoid discussing topics that stir up controversy: not because I'm afraid of conflict, I'm just sick of bullshit. In arguments over things like Religion, Politics, etc. I've come to find that neither side can win. We're usually speaking so loudly to validate our points, we never LISTEN or even consider the other's side. And quite frankly-- I'm not trying to save the world, you know? The best thing I can do while I'm on this Earth is do what The Big Man Upstairs wants me to do.

Nevertheless, what with it being Black History Month and all, it would be irresponsible of me as the Op of an ever-growing Blog to simply ignore it. To all my Caucasians: don't be alarmed or offended. To my Brothas: keep it cool. To Everyone Else: sit back, and just read. This is just my opinion on the whole "N-Word" topic.

1. As a Verb.

From what I see in my own immediate community, there are many "Niggas" as the Verb and not the Noun. I'll use my own family for example: a cousin of mine is aaaaalllwwaayyys claiming that he's being racially profiled. In fact, a few of the local policemen know him by his first name! He's always moping and groaning; "I can't get a job man! These white folks don't want a brotha to get ahead".

This, to those who may not have known, is one example of a Nigga Moment: blaming others for your own irresponsibilities and failures.



2. As a Noun.
This is perhaps where many subscribe to the N-Word as a "term of endearment and affection". Eh, to a certain degree,  I agree. I may say "daaaammnnn.... that Nigga is FIINNEE!!!" Or I may say "Nigga, please..." In Ebonics: the N-Word can function in a number of grammatical ways. Just saying "Nigga" in a "you're not gonna believe this" tone of voice, can open up a conversation, or sum an entire story up--that's the power behind the word! I find it difficult to fully articulate how many different ways the word can function--especially if it's not in your ready vocabulary. Which brings me to my third point...

3. WHO CAN SAY IT
No, I don't think it's just a "black thing". Growing up, and even to this very day, my Puerto Ricans/Mexicans use the word quite liberally. I can only count on a few occasions when a White has ever been able to (comfortably) use the word in the presence of said Niggas. But no, I don't think that white people are the exception to the word. I DO have a strong theory that they call each other it in the comfort of their own company. But who am I to stop someone from speaking? Especially when my own ancestors marched in the streets for that very same thing?

To this, I always use the analogy of the word "Bitch". Everyone uses the word "Bitch". But when used among catty-like Females, it can be a term of endearment. While at the same time, when men call women a Bitch, it's like they've been shot or something. This is a small example, but the closest I can illustrate for those who may not understand #3.


Back in 2007, the NAACP held a mock-funeral for the N-Word. I guess in hopes of fully abolishing it out of the Black Community. In my opinion, it was futile. I understand the concept behind it, but Niggas ain't finna stop sayin Nigga just cuz Jesse Jackson said to. (pardon the Ebonics).

It's too ingrained in our Vernacular; too embedded in our spirits. Because, even if EVERYONE completely stopped using the word, it wouldn't change the fact that I would still be treated as a Nigga by those who don't
see me as anything BUT.

Don't believe me? Look at Professor Gates, of Harvard University, being arrest for "trying to break into his OWN home". He shows the police his I.D. and it matches the address on the house--AND HE STILL GETS ARRESTED!!! Google it.

So no, since the NAACP attempted to bury, in essence, a word that held negative connotations and offenses: THEY SHOULD HAVE BURIED EVERY OTHER NEGATIVE/OFFENSIVE WORD. Bitch, for Women. Fag, for Gays. Cracker, for Whites. Chinks, for Chinese. Wetbacks, for Mexicans, etc.

Because in targeting one word in specific and inadvertently raising AWARENESS of the word: is that not only reaffirming the separation the N-Word brought upon in in the first place?

Like I've said before, I'm not trying to save the world; these are my own thoughts and feelings.

Eh... Just trying to stimulate the head on your SHOULDERS for a change. ;)

What's your take? Hit me up: Capricornaries@hotmail.com

Enjoy the pics!

--Cogito














..and in case you didn't know...

BLACK IS BOOTYFUL!!!