Followers

FINDING HOME: WHEN GAY KIDS GET KICKED OUT...









November is Homeless Awareness Moth and IN THE LIFE examines the plight of lesbian, gay, bisexual  and transgender (LGBT) youth experiencing homelessness. The episode features Cyndi Lauper's True Colors Residence, the permanent affordable house to be offered to LGBT at risk youth in New York City.





"I believe that a strong society is an inclusive society and it we want to win big in this world, we better include everybody." Cyndi Lauper.





There are an estimated 1.6 to 2.8 million homeless youth in the United States, up to 40% identify as LGBT. IN THE LIFE takes a stark look at youth kicked out of their homes from New York to Illinois to California, answering the the questions: What services are offered to the youth on the street? How do they cope and survive? The episode highlights The Family Acceptance Project, an organization conducting innovative research on the harmful effects of family rejection.





"I've definitely built my own little family support system here. When they get on me, it's about getting my life together and keeping me on track. It's not about who I am. They just want to make me a better person." Tiffany Viruet, left home at age 19.





Watch the complete episode online of IN THE LIFE's "Finding Home" here: